Science, sports, repeat

Nicole Martin

More stories from Nicole Martin

Summer bucket list
May 14, 2021

No parents want their kids to complain, but one complaint from Maureen Miller’s daughter pushed her to pursue her passion at Etowah.

“My daughter said that science was boring because all they did was workbook pages, and I knew that science was a lot more interesting than that. I wanted to transfer some of that wonder and excitement to students so that they would like science,” Miller explained.

Miller was so disappointed that her daughter did not like science because she herself loves the subject.

“I like science because I like to explain and see how things work. And the more you see how things you work, the more questions you have. You can test it and try to figure it out, so it is always kind of exciting,” Miller said.

After teaching at Sequoyah for twelve years, Miller came to Etowah where she enjoys working with the students.

“I switched to Etowah because I moved closer, living in downtown Woodstock.  I also love my co-workers at Etowah!  I love the classes I teach,” Miller said.

Miller also loves all things college football, and spends a lot of her free time watching it.

“I am a big college football fan,” Miller said. “It is just fun to see the teams play, and, you know, good competitiveness.”

Her favorite team is the University of Alabama because her son went to school there. Miller’s interest for college football centers around the spirits that students, high school and college, have.

Miller’s excitement for not only college football, but for her love of science is what makes her truly unique.