• May 24Register by June 7 for the July 13 ACT Test Date!
  • January 9Happy Summer Break!
  • January 9Congratulations Graduates!
  • January 9Check out our Countdown to the First Day of School!

A historic season

Photo credit: https://dallasweekly.com/2023/11/rangers-capture-first-ever-world-series-championship/

The Major League Baseball (MLB) Texas Rangers made history on Nov. 1, 2023, when they beat the Arizona Diamondbacks 5-0, making it the team’s first ever World Series win.  

This final game was not an easy one, as it stayed stressful until the very last minute. The Diamondbacks first took the lead with a no-hitter (when the opposing team gets no hits off of a pitcher) through the first six innings, until Corey Seager, Rangers shortstop, hit a single in the seventh inning, breaking the streak. The game was 1-0 at the top of the ninth until the Rangers scored four runs and turned the game around. They went on to win the game in a shutout (when a single pitcher pitches the whole game and does not allow any runs from the other team) when Marcus Semien, Rangers shortstop, hit a two-run homer off Paul Sewald, Diamondbacks Pitcher, securing their fourth win in the five-game series.  

“It was really cool to see the Rangers win the World Series, as it was a very electric season, and they are a very likeable team,” Cooper Gilreath, senior, said.  

Not only did the Rangers make history during the World Series, but they did so throughout the entire season with an 11-0 record, which is the longest road winning streak in their franchise history for regular season and postseason. Bruce Bochy, Rangers manager, became the sixth manager ever to win at least four World Series titles as well as being the third manager in MLB history to win a title in both the American and National leagues. 

“It is special. I am not going to lie. But as far as me, that is a byproduct of what those guys did out there and what the front office did. I was along for the ride, trust me. I was very fortunate and blessed to be able to get back into baseball in this type of a situation,” Bochy said.  

Seager made sure to leave his own legacy, being named the 2023 World Series Most Valuable Player (MVP) after leading the Rangers to victory. This was his second MVP title, making him the fourth player ever to win two World Series MVP trophies. Seager had a great season with a .318 batting average (the average amount of hits out of total at-bats), a .451 on-base percentage (how frequently a batter reaches base), and six home runs.  

“I think the Rangers had a very memorable season. Seager has very good leadership skills, and I think he will be able to the lead the team to another win next season,” Addison Bishop, sophomore, said.  

Fans all over the nation were thrilled to see the Rangers win their first ever series title. This, combined with their successful season and several historical achievements, is making fans optimistic for another series trophy next season.