• May 24Register by June 7 for the July 13 ACT Test Date!
  • January 9Happy Summer Break!
  • January 9Congratulations Graduates!
  • January 9Check out our Countdown to the First Day of School!

Amateur to legend

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kttc.com%2F2024%2F01%2F22%2Fnick-dunlap-becomes-1st-amateur-winner-pga-tour-since-1991-with-victory-american-express%2F+
https://www.kttc.com/2024/01/22/nick-dunlap-becomes-1st-amateur-winner-pga-tour-since-1991-with-victory-american-express/

Many golfers of all ages commonly dream of one thing: to be named a Professional Golfers’ Association of America (PGA) event winner. Nick Dunlap made this wish a reality at only 20 years old, when he became the first amateur to achieve this title since 1991. 

Dunlap, a sophomore at the University of Alabama, won the American Express Tournament in La Quinta, CA.  on March 21. Considering Dunlap’s age, experience level, and competition, his odds of coming out victorious were slim. However, with hard work and determination, he managed to succeed with a score of 29-under par, just one stroke ahead of famous player Christiaan Bezuidenhout. This triumph placed Dunlap not only as a PGA amateur winner but also as the youngest champion since 1910. Though he was unable to collect the prize money ($1.5 million) due to not playing professionally, Dunlap is thrilled nonetheless. 

“This is like nothing I have ever felt. It is so cool to just be out here and experience this as an amateur. Whether I made or missed that last putt, if you told me Wednesday night that come (Sunday) I would have a putt to win this golf tournament – it is just unbelievable,” Dunlap said. 

Though significant, Dunlap’s journey with golf did not start with his achievement in CA. Growing up in Birmingham, Ala., Dunlap spent his childhood on the golf course, dominating his first tournament at the Greystone Golf and Country Club. Keeping his skills up to par, he later received first place at the U.S. Amateur at Cherry Hills Country Club in Aug. 2023. When Dunlap began his studies at the University of Alabama, he had already been announced as the best junior player in the country, and after competing at both a National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) regional and NCAA championship, Dunlap soon qualified for the U.S. Open. These performances ultimately helped Dunlap reach his current skill level. 

“He is a very talented golfer, and he is exceedingly good at his profession,” Lillian Lopez, freshman, said. 

Just four days after the American Express Tournament, Dunlap was happy to announce that he is advancing to a professional player, leaving his previous status behind. This involves a membership card to officially join the PGA Tour, allowing him to attend the many competitions from now until the 2026 season’s end. To kick off his new career, he debuted at AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-am Tournament, placing at 71 in the overall PGA Tour rankings. This event is only the beginning for many more exciting opportunities for Dunlap. 

“Nick Dunlap’s golf skills just seem to amaze me almost every day; he is truly someone I want and do look up to,” Daniel Nobrega, sophomore, said. 

In just 20 years, Dunlap has set himself up for a lifetime of glory and success, his latest supremacy streak only proving this. If his dedication for golf never falters, Dunlap is likely to go down in PGA Tour history.