• May 24Register by June 7 for the July 13 ACT Test Date!
  • January 9Happy Summer Break!
  • January 9Congratulations Graduates!
  • January 9Check out our Countdown to the First Day of School!

A Grammy worthy surprise

Broken records. Trendsetting fashion. Groundbreaking performances. Surprise album announcement. On Feb. 4, 2024, the year’s biggest award show, The Grammys, ended with a shocking twist when Taylor Swift announced her newest album, “Tortured Poets Department.” 

Swifties were not the only ones left shocked after Swift revealed her next album’s release which drops on April 19, 2024during her acceptance speech at the 2024 Grammys. Swift had made no mention or hints about the upcoming album prior to the announcement, leaving many to wonder how long this had been in the works.  

“I was completely shocked when Taylor Swift announced the new album, and I do not think anyone saw it coming,” Andrew Wolfe, freshman, said.  

Though fans had a feeling she was planning a surprise, they did not expect a brand-new album. Many were convinced that Swift would be announcing “Reputation Taylor’s Version’s” release, Swift’s Reputation album’s re-recording, as it had been highly anticipated for months. Swift added fuel to the rumor when she and her closest friends changed their social media profile pictures to black-and-white, matching Reputation’s aesthetic and leading many Swifties to do the same in excitement for the release they were convinced was coming.  

“I completely thought that she was going to announce ‘Reputation’ that night because of all the things she was doing to lead up to it. And even though I was really shocked when she announced the new album, I was so excited for it,” Caroline Freeman, junior, said.  

Since the announcement, fans have been going crazy trying to find any hints or make any connections regarding what this album may be about. The biggest theory to date is that the tracklist’s main theme will be Swift’s recent breakup with ex-boyfriend Joe Alwyn. The rumors started when an online interview from Dec. 2022 was uncovered featuring Alwyn and his friend Paul Mescal talking about a group chat they have called “The Tortured Man Club,” which is eerily similar to Swift’s new album’s title. Swift and Alwyn split in April 2023; however, it was kept very private and not much information about the breakup was given to the public. Many are excited and hoping that this newest album will shed light on their relationship’s end.  

“I was really excited and surprised when I saw [Taylor Swift] was releasing a new album. I think 99 percent of it will be her getting back at the way she was treated by Joe,” Addison Bishop, sophomore, said.  

Although many were watching out for a different surprise, no one was left disappointed, as a new album may be even better news. Make sure to tune in on April 19 to hear the new album.