• May 24Register by June 7 for the July 13 ACT Test Date!
  • January 9Happy Summer Break!
  • January 9Congratulations Graduates!
  • January 9Check out our Countdown to the First Day of School!

Putting safety first

Credit%3A+https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.nhl.com%2Fpublic%2Fnews%2F17376
Credit: https://media.nhl.com/public/news/17376

A beloved sport turned into a horrid massacre after English Ice Hockey Association player, Adam Johnson, bled out on the Sheffield’s Utilita Arena rink in the United Kingdom following a collision with another player’s skate blade. Now, USA Hockey is working to make hockey safer than ever by requesting a rule change to require neck protection for all players in America. 

On Oct. 28, disaster struck during a Nottingham Panthers ice hockey game for the United Kingdom Elite Ice Hockey League when Johnson collided with a Sheffield Steelers player. The opponent’s hockey skate struck Johnson’s neck, with the fatal cut causing him to fall to the ground. Attendees reported seeing the teams form a circle around Johnson as well as paramedics rushing to the scene before being asked to leave the building due to a medical emergency. While Johnson did not die immediately, he unfortunately passed later that night at Sheffield’s Northern General Hospital. 

“As a hockey player myself, I think neck guards should be a mandatory piece of equipment for youth and pro hockey [players] to participate in games,” Luke Kadlub, freshman, said. 

While USA Hockey has not previously required neck guards, on Nov. 11, following Johnson’s death, their Board of Directors unanimously voted for their Safety and Protective Equipment Committee to begin looking into a recommendation for mandating neck protection. While specific organizations currently have the ability to require neck guards, USA Hockey has yet to do so absolutely, as they are waiting for results from researchers who are testing just how effective the neck guards are. 

“Currently the [United States Hockey League (USHL)] does not mandate neck guards (…) However, as the top junior hockey league of USA Hockey, the USHL is working closely with USA Hockey as it studies and evaluates neck laceration protectors and other cut-resistant garments in an effort to create the safest environment possible for our players,” Glenn Hefferan, USHL commissioner, said in an article from The Rink Live. 

USA Hockey is set to come together once again in January 2024 for their Winter Meeting to discuss a new neck guard mandate, and many are waiting in anticipation due to the fear Johnson’s death has ensued in some hockey players and fans. Despite this being an extremely rare incident, it has only brought awareness to the sport’s potential dangers, making it clear why a new rule is imperative. 

“I think the new rules will help prevent further injuries and even deaths at all levels of hockey, as long as players actually follow it and wear them correctly. As of right now, most players do not wear them, but if the rules are implemented, it could be a big help,” Nolan Porcello, senior, said. 

Though the tragedy occurred over 4,000 miles away, America is mourning Johnson’s death and is actively working to prevent a similar situation from happening again, reassuring hockey players and fans across the country.