• May 24Register by June 7 for the July 13 ACT Test Date!
  • January 9Happy Summer Break!
  • January 9Congratulations Graduates!
  • January 9Check out our Countdown to the First Day of School!

Soaring Eagles fighting their broken wings

Chalk clouds fill the air as the crowd nervously waits for the gymnasts to stick their landings. The squeaking of the girls swinging around the bars, and the loud bangs of the others nailing their skills leaves the crowd in awe of the Etowah gymnastics team’s talents right in front of them. 

Though originally excited to wow the stands this season, the Soaring Eagles, the gymnastics team, have had their fair share of injures, as one member after another began getting hurt before even competing at their first competition. With three of their seven gymnasts currently injured, the team is dealing with limited individuals to compete for their team score. An extremely talented freshman and current level nine gymnast, Trinity Crowell, was a very hopeful high scorer for the girls, but unfortunately recently discovered she is unable to compete due to an injured sacroiliac (SI) joint, located in the pelvis and lower back. 

“I was excited to be able to compete with the team this year. It is hard to watch everyone compete because I want to so bad, and it makes it harder knowing that I am going to be watching, instead of competing, all season,” Crowell said. 

Alexis Cua, a current junior and the Etowah gymnastics manager, is a level nine gymnast that dislocated and broke her ankle over the summer and had to get surgery. Cua is still recovering, and instead of being a part of the actual team this year, she decided to become the team manager to still be involved, even though she is unable to compete. 

“Although being manager is not as fun as competing, I still love being with my teammates and cheering them on, as well as watching them succeed,” Cua said. 

Along with the many injuries, the Soaring Eagles had a hard time with the fact that they finished in 9th place in all of Georgia at the end of their last season, due to the girls being just one place off from qualifying for the state meet. With one more year under their belt, the gymnasts have all leveled up on their skills, leaving the team hopeful to make it to state as a team for their 2024 season. 

“I hope that the Etowah gymnastics team succeeds in each person’s personal goals, and I think it will be a great season with everyone trying their best and maintaining good mindsets,” McConaughey Matheson, senior, said. 

With some major setbacks in losing some high scoring girls to injuries, the team is having to work even harder and must stay hopeful to make state, even with the struggles.