Transforming transportation

Kat Kochansky

More stories from Kat Kochansky

Transforming+transportation

As technology continues to become more woven into the daily lives of students everywhere, new ideas to solve issues with safety, time management, and productivity are being used by schools nationwide. 

In Cherokee County, parents and students are beginning to use new technology on school buses to allow tracking of school bus routes and arrival times through the smartphone app, Versatrans My Stop by Tyler Technologies, as well as the Cherokee County Schools website. 

“School bus tracking might be a great idea because it could set a worried parent’s mind at ease if a bus is running late. At the same time, a compromised system could facilitate stalking or some other nefarious activity,” Donald Harris, Etowah parent, said.  

Cherokee County schools, however, insist that the system will be secure.  

“Access to the system is restricted to users with a student ID, and the only information available is the location of that student’s bus within a limited time frame,” Jim Georges, director of Cherokee County School District transportation, said.  

Students can download the Versatrans My Stop app to track their own buses, as well. 

Throughout the beginning of the school year, select parents piloted the Versatrans My Stop app. As of Mar. 5, Cherokee County is expanding the system to three more schools: Mill Creek Middle, Johnston Elementary, and Arnold Mill Elementary.  

“We plan to expand the service to all CCSD schools next school year,” Georges said. 

The ability to track buses may be helpful for parents who want to minimize the amount of time their children spend outside waiting for their bus in inclement weather conditions or let parents know when their child will arrive home.