Nerf or nothing

Reece Godwin

More stories from Reece Godwin

It is that time of year when people are seeing teenagers holding Nerf guns all over Towne Lake. Nerf Wars has been an annual game for several years at Etowah and brings out the inner child of those participating.

“All the money goes to the players that win and the people that run Nerf, which includes the division managers,” Caleb Greiner, senior in charge of Nerf, said.

Students create their teams of five, and each member pays ten dollars to join. All grades can participate; however, freshman do not normally since they cannot drive. This year, there are 36 teams playing, putting the cash prize at over $1,000. The teams are split into four divisions, North, South, East, and West. Pool play, when everyone is warming up for playoffs, lasts for weeks; students play a new team in the division every week. Once the five weeks are over, playoffs begin, and teams play based off team ranking. Everyone goes into playoffs, but once they lose, they are done.

“My favorite part of Nerf is the teamwork that it takes to stake out and get kills,” Rhod Many, junior, said.

School and after school functions, as well as church and work are off limits for Nerf.  If students are not attending such places, they are prepared to get texts saying something along the lines of “Meet at the Eagle Watch park if you’re not scared.” Yes, it really gets this intense. People will walk out to their driveway to find someone on the opposing team blocking their car from leaving. Or better yet, there may be plastic wrap all over the car, so kids are stuck. This is why Nerf guns are needed in hand at all times for these three months.

“I have gotten five kills so far,” Andrew Graner, sophomore, said.

When a player gets hit, he or she is “dead” for the rest of that week until the following Monday rolls around, and the game restarts with a new opposing team. Nerf Wars are more intense than people realize, and the paranoia of being shot is real. Want to go out to eat with your family? Better have a pipe with you in case someone tells your opponents where you are. Want to go shopping? Better not post anything on your Snapchat story.

“I have run more in the last two weeks than I have in two years because I’m so nervous to be in public,” Madi Mcnew, senior said.

If you plan on doing Nerf Wars next year, clean out your garage for your car now. And prepare yourself for people you have not talked to since fourth grade to be standing in your bushes holding a Nerf gun waiting for your arrival.