Thanks, but no thanks

Mia Jacobs

More stories from Mia Jacobs

Thanks, but no thanks

The holiday season is approaching; the weather is getting colder; carols are being sung, and holiday movies are playing on the Hallmark Movie Channel. Christmas movies are mostly known to be joyful and magical; however, Thanksgiving movies are often forgotten with their plots that lack the point of remembrance.

“Most Thanksgiving movies are not good; their budgets are cheap and poorly edited,“ Jacob Hite, sophomore, said. 

In 2013, the movie “Free Birds” was created. Rated 18 percent on Rotten Tomatoes and 38 percent on Metacritic, the movie is about two cartoon birds who break free from being Thanksgiving dinner. They then travel back in time to manipulate the pilgrims into serving pizza on the first Thanksgiving instead of turkey. Historically, the pilgrims never actually served turkey for the first Thanksgiving. Instead they ate squash, ham and lobster. 

“The movie “Free Birds” was dumb and made no sense. How did the turkeys even travel back in time? How are they standing on two legs like a human?” Anthony Berberi, junior, said. 

“Thanks Killing” is another Thanksgiving movie that far from popular during this season. A group of college students go out for Thanksgiving break only to encounter a possessed turkey who terrorizes them during their vacation. The movie has a rating of 42 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, and one of the reviews warns, “It’s so bad it’s funny.”  

“The movie [“Thanks Killing”] was cringy. There was a low budget and terrible acting, and all the turkey puns gave me a headache,” Shasha  Beltran, sophomore, said.

“Turkey Hollow” was created in 2015 by Jim Henson, the creator of “The Muppets,” and is not known to be his best work. The movie’s rating ended up being 41 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. The film is about a brother and sister who are working together with the howling hoodoo’s, Turkey-like creatures, to save their aunt’s land from the farm-stealing neighbor next door. 

“The movie “Turkey Hollow” was bad; the whole plot where Tim and Annie [siblings] tried to track down the howling hoodoo was very confusing and overwhelming,” Lana Fisher, freshman, said.   

Thanksgiving may not be known for its movies, but it is known for being a time to sit with friends and family and enjoy food and watch movies. Whether the movies are good, bad, long, or boring, it is who you are with that really counts, not what you are watching.