Walking for a cure

Alyssa Pearson

More stories from Alyssa Pearson

Dear Etowah…
April 19, 2022

One mile down, twenty-nine to go. Etowah students had the opportunity to participate in the Georgia 2-Day Walk for Breast Cancer on Oct. 5 and 6. Participants in the event walked twenty miles on Saturday and ten on Sunday; however, student walkers are permitted to only walk on Sunday because walking the full thirty miles is considered too strenuous for students.  

“The Georgia 2-Day Walk was a really great experience that I would definitely do again. I met new people and had fun, all for a good cause. I definitely encourage others to participate in the future,” Katie Brenneman, freshman, said. 

Four Etowah students walked to raise money for breast health and breast cancer programs for research in Georgia. In total, the Etowah walkers, freshman Katie Brenneman; sophomores Alyssa Pearson and Sam Hunnings; and junior Lilly Daniels raised $1,920.60. It’s The Journey Inc. organization as a whole raised over $1 million of proceeds to donate. 

“It [Georgia 2-Day Walk] is a great cause because you are raising money for an issue that affects a lot of people across the world,” Hunnings said. 

It’s The Journey Inc. created the Georgia 2-Day walk sixteen years ago. The organization has raised over $15 million to provide breast cancer education, screening, and continuing care for Georgians.  

“I think the Georgia 2-Day Walk is a great cause because it helps men and women pay for service they need … the event is well-organized, and everything runs smoothly. Everyone who participates in the walk has a great time and make lots of memories, despite the large amounts of walking,” Daniels said. 

The Etowah student walkers are planning to attend the Georgia 2-Day Walk for Breast Cancer next year. If  interested in walking with them, visit this website for more information. The four Etowah walkers currently signed up for next year’s walk need to raise a certain amount of money, so consider contributing to their effort.  Click here to donate.