How to ace the SAT and ACT

The ACT and SAT are crucial tests for any high schooler. How well students perform determines if they will be accepted into their dream school. 

“I first took the ACT in seventh grade, and I plan to take it many more times to improve my score and get into the college I desire,” Conner Fisher, freshman, said. 

When preparing for the SAT, ACT, or any other important test, do not forget that your health is just as important as studying. Do not cram all of your studying into the night before the test. Eat and drink well in order to prepare yourself and your body. Do not drink coffee or energy drinks to stay up late to study. Instead, drink water, and eat a well-rounded breakfast in the morning. 

Although every student most likely wishes that sleeping often was equivalent to good grades, beneficial health habits alone will not lead you to success. You have to find a balance between preparing your body and studying. 

“I’m sure there are some benefits to eating healthy and getting eight hours of sleep a night, but I haven’t eaten a salad since May and I haven’t gotten a healthy amount of sleep since summer, and I’m sure I did well on the SATs,” Madison Johns, sophomore, said. 

Everyone’s mind is different, so you need to find a studying style that fits you. The three types of learners are visual learners, auditory learners, and kinesthetic learners. Studying according to what type of learner you are can help you retain information. You can find many short quizzes online that tell you what type of learner you are with descriptions, but here is the rundown: 

Visual learners should use flashcards, highlight things in different colors, color code everything, and write things down. 

Auditory learners should read everything important out loud, including flash cards, books, and even test questions. 

Kinesthetic learners are hands-on. They learn by touching, feeling, drawing, and building. Moving around while studying or learning, such as tapping your foot, rocking in a chair, or chewing gum can help you remember information. 

There are many different study strategies and programs online to help you, but you need to find what works best for you.  

“I use prep expert which is an online program that includes videos and practice tests. It helped me manage my time,” Taylor Glass, junior, said. 

Following all of these tips will help you succeed on any test you may encounter. Good luck!