The truth about the Ivy League

The truth about the Ivy League

For 68 years, Ivy League universities have been known as the most prestigious schools in the world. Many students plan their high school careers around the hope of getting accepted into any of the eight highly-selective colleges; however, some wonder if all of the late-night study sessions, clubs, and internships are worth it.

Ivy Leagues are known for having extremely high graduation rates, with more than 95 percent. Compared to state schools, this number is significantly greater, suggesting that one is more likely to earn a degree at one of these universities rather than a less prestigious college. Yet, besides the credibility that accompanies the name, there is little difference between a degree from an Ivy League and any other school.

“For a long time, I made it my life goal to get into an Ivy League school, but after talking to my parents and college advisor, I realized I can still gain a really good education at other places too,” Anna Whittington, senior, said.

Going to one of these well-known colleges is a great accomplishment, but the tuition is expensive, ranging from 50,000 to 80,500 dollars. Due to the selective nature of these schools, it is difficult to gain scholarships, whereas less competitive universities provide a variety of opportunities for financial aid. Most prefer to avoid accumulating the student debt that would be inevitable when enrolling in an Ivy League.

“It would be really cool to go to Harvard, Princeton, etc. but they cost so much money. I would rather go somewhere that is not crazy expensive,” Kason Dean, sophomore, said.

Being a student at an Ivy League can significantly impact one’s life due to the connections made with classmates at the university. Many people who graduate from one of these colleges become successful in their careers, therefore potentially influencing business relationships.

“Getting into an Ivy League is guaranteeing success in life. Jobs are most likely to hire you if you have Yale on your resume,” Stella Njorago, junior, said.

Ultimately, while attending an Ivy League opens up many opportunities and produces prosperous alumni, there are a wide variety of other colleges that can benefit one’s future.