• May 24Register by June 7 for the July 13 ACT Test Date!
  • January 9Happy Summer Break!
  • January 9Congratulations Graduates!
  • January 9Check out our Countdown to the First Day of School!

A cap on the high school experience

It was just another Monday for the underclassmen on campus, but if they looked closely at their peers as they changed classes and roamed the halls, seniors could be seen clutching the signature blue fabric and golden tassel that characterizes the cap and gown for Etowah graduates. Just another Monday for underclassmen was a very real step towards becoming alumni for the seniors, but even after picking up the graduation day uniform for May 23, there are still a host of events left for these students to mark on their calendars. 

Seniors picked up their cap and gowns right before spring break, perfect for beach and other exotic graduation photos, but unfortunately, it only excited students headed straight into April: the final academic stretch. April lacks fun senior events and is rather the last emphasis on school for soon-to-be alumni, especially with end-of-course and advanced placement (AP) exams. So, even as it becomes increasingly easy to want to jump to summer and college freedom, it is more important than ever to rally together for one last motivational push through school. 

“I am super excited and ready to graduate in May. However, I find it is really hard for me to stay focused and engaged in my classes just because, mentally, I am already done. So, even though I am looking forward to graduation, I am also struggling with keeping up with all my work and studying for my AP exams,” Shelby Rice, senior, said. 

Entering May is another story, as the calendar becomes decorated with more senior events and celebrations. Just as the class started the year with a sunrise get-together, they will cherish their high school relationships for final goodbyes at the senior sunset currently set for May 14. Seniors will also get the chance to walk the halls in their elementary school, wishing luck to the future Eagles and thanking old teachers. Depending on which elementary school one attended, this may take place on May 17 or 20. 

I did not realize how fast graduation was going to come, but it is here now. I am really excited for it. I am a little nervous about what is next in life after graduation. As far as senior traditions, I think it is a great opportunity to visit our elementary schools one last time before we go our separate ways in college,” Rafael Maciel, senior, said. 

The next stop before walking the stage for real is to walk the stage for practice, as seniors will make sure to attend graduation practices on May 21 and 22 prior to the ceremony, one of which is thankfully paired with a celebratory breakfast. Even though it may seem grueling to go through not one, but two, graduation walk-throughs, they are essential to make the day go smoothly and ensure every student is properly recognized for their achievements.  

I am so excited for a new chapter in my life to begin. Although there are a lot of emotions in saying goodbye to our community, we all have memories that will last a lifetime. The end is nearing with graduation practice, and I cannot wait to see what the future holds,” Sydney Daniel, senior, said. 

Soon enough, all that is left is to shake hands, receive a diploma, and turn the tassel. Stay present in the memories, and make note of special dates because senior year happens only once, and the final chapter to the high school experience is nearing its end.