• May 24Register by June 7 for the July 13 ACT Test Date!
  • January 9Happy Summer Break!
  • January 9Congratulations Graduates!
  • January 9Check out our Countdown to the First Day of School!

JROTC: a uniform for success

Every Monday morning, some of Etowah’s students can be seen walking around in a blue uniform representing the esteemed Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (JROTC) program. The uniform is a huge part of the JROTC’s pride, but the class has more layers than just the attire.  

Most students assume the JROTC program is only for military bound individuals, but the class can be useful for everyone. The elective offers many benefits, including help for college and leadership skills through several connected extracurriculars called leadership development requirements (LDRs). It also gives one the chance to help their community with service opportunities such as the annual Wreaths Across America event, where JROTC students volunteer to place wreaths on the gravestones at the Georgia National Cemetery. 

“JROTC has made a huge impact on my life, I have made so many friends and gotten over fears. I learned so much in such a short span of time, like different college opportunities and how to help the community. There are so many opportunities that can be found in JROTC, and all of them are very much worth it,” Leah Schmid, freshman, said. 

JROTC provides scholarships—both full and partial—to multiple colleges, internal and external leadership opportunities, community service hours, and so much more. By taking the class, one can earn a science credit, and after three years, students earn their needed health/PE credits. The elective also has a dual enrollment class separate from JROTC itself, where students will still wear the uniform while also earning college credits. 

“JROTC has helped me prepare for my college career. The class itself has given me high school credits to graduate, and once I took dual enrollment, I received college credits that will transfer to any college I choose. I have made lots of friends and had a much more enjoyable high school experience,” Jeffery Meadows, senior, said. 

There is a considerably large amount of LDRs offered, with the most popular being raider, marksmanship, and color guard.  Raider is the equivalent to college rangers, a team made up of athletically capable students that compete in military style activities. Marksmanship is a precision shooting sport using air rifles. Color guard is a team that honors those who have served or serve now and presents the colors at a variety of events. In each LDR, students are offered leadership positions as commanders and co-commanders.  

“Leading raider opened my thinking up to the freedom of being able to lead, but also, the struggles that came through the opportunity helped to develop my patience and understanding,” Austin Brice, junior, said. 

If one is looking for a way to contribute to their community, develop leadership skills, and find help with college, consider joining the Etowah JROTC class.