• May 24Register by June 7 for the July 13 ACT Test Date!
  • January 9Happy Summer Break!
  • January 9Congratulations Graduates!
  • January 9Check out our Countdown to the First Day of School!

The right to register

credits%3A+NPR%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.npr.org%2F2023%2F08%2F06%2F1191961698%2Fyouth-voter-registration
credits: NPR https://www.npr.org/2023/08/06/1191961698/youth-voter-registration

The year turned the corner into 2024, leaving most seniors with their eyes set solely on graduation. As students’ tunnel vision centers on walking across the stage amongst a sea of blue gowns, it becomes far too easy to neglect the other milestones that 2024 is bringing in addition to a diploma. An eclipse is scheduled for April, the Olympic rings will gleam this summer, and soon enough, November will bring a Presidential election, which the class of 2024 and some of 2025 will be able to cast their first ever ballot, but before voting in any election, the first step is to register. 

Calling all United States citizens, legal Georgia and Cherokee County residents, and those who are at least 17 ½ years old. Meeting each of these requirements means registering to vote is one application away. Online registration is an easy way to get started, and once completed, applicants can check their status on My Voter Page. The page will also let voters know where they can cast their votes. If already considered a registered voter, making any changes can be done on the page using a new application.  

“I think that, as we get closer to the moment in time when we are becoming the generation to take the lead in society, it is important that we are able to contribute through things like voting. These are the candidates that will essentially shape our future in this country, and by exercising our right to vote, we are able to carry out a vital role in helping decide that future,” Anvita Rautray, senior, said.  

Some students may find themselves registered and ready to vote, but oftentimes, young adults find it difficult to feel the importance in voting or do not feel educated enough to participate. But, in truth, the right to vote is a right to be heard, and when given the opportunity to use one’s voice to make a difference, it should not be missed. Young voters set the future course for the nation, and casting a ballot is a step towards change that individuals want to see.  

“It is important for Etowah High School students, along with the younger generation as a whole, to register to vote.  Your future is currently being determined by older generations of voters that grew up in a world very different than yours.  It is important to learn all you can about the candidates and why you would select one candidate over another based upon what is important to you and those you care about,” Alayna Petersen, Etowah counselor, said. 

As social medias grow and thrive, apps like TikTok are working to educate new voters about their role in democracy and the political environment. Academic and verified sites are the perfect place to find accurate information about all sides in an election, but the encouragement and knowledge from media influencers worldwide are emerging as strong platforms to reach young voters. Taylor Swift, for instance, only had to post a short message on Instagram encouraging her followers to vote for more than 35,000 individuals to register through the nonpartisan nonprofit Vote.org. 

“It is very important to register to vote, as it makes sure your voice and opinions can be shown at the government level. Celebrities like Taylor Swift contribute to kids registering to vote by promoting it to their vast following on social media,” Jacob Champ, freshman, said. 

Do not wait to register to vote, and with a big election just months away, Etowah students should use the voice and power that the right to vote grants. Click here to see the requirements and steps to registration, in addition to links to access the application.