Mia’s declassified school survival guide

Mia Jacobs

More stories from Mia Jacobs

Longer walks. Work piling up. High school is a big jump from middle school that takes some time to get used to. As the academic year starts to pick up, many seniors have recognized the fact that freshmen still need some assistance to get into the rhythm of high school, and they want to help.

“It is good to take advice from seniors. Most of the seniors happen to know a lot about the ins and outs of high school, and many of them can help you find a place to fit in,” Makayla Shaffer, senior, said. 

The most important thing to remember when it comes to high school is to stay out of the drama. Whether it is a disagreement with friends or an argument with a classmate, drama only does more harm than good.  If there is a problem with another student, it is best to move on and accept a difference in opinion instead of starting a fightverbal or physical. 

“I think it is important for everyone to stay out of drama(…)in a new environment like high school you are more impressionable(…)it can affect everyone’s grades because no one will be operating at their best,” Holden Ellsworth, senior, said.

Another thing is to never let anyone tell you what you should or should not like. This might seem like an elementary lesson, but judgment from peers has the potential to make one give up something they truly love. Regardless of people sharing your interests or not, their opinions should not influence your happiness.   

“I think it is good for freshmen to remember they should be able to love whatever they want, as long as it does not hinder anyone else,” Isaiah Huff, senior, said.

It is important that a student focuses on schoolwork above other activities. Unlike middle school, high school grades are kept on a transcript that will be sent to colleges, having a large effect on a student’s future. Over time, it will become easier for new students to find the balance between school and friends that will help make their high school years successful. 

“It is way more important to focus on school over socialization, but always try and find time for your friends,” Kasey Hinkle, senior, said.

As the years go on, the high school experience changes; with time, one will find more tips and tricks to make the school year easier.