The future of the College Board 

Ila Prabhuram

More stories from Ila Prabhuram

A new musical era
May 10, 2023
The%C2%A0future%C2%A0of%C2%A0the+College%C2%A0Board%C2%A0

When students hear “College Board,” thoughts of SATs, PSATs, and other standardized tests immediately fill their mindsWith the changes brought on by the ongoing pandemic, many are questioning what power the College Board will hold in the future. 

The SAT subject tests were individual tests on certain subjects chosen by the College Board that many colleges required, and the SAT Essay was the essay portion of the SAT test. The tests were eliminated forever due to the COVID-19 pandemic.  

The organization was forced to make changes due to the ongoing pandemic, with hundreds of thousands of students being turned away from in-person testing sites in the fall because of the test-site closures. Most colleges across the country are now instituting a test-optional or test blind policy, where they would “not even consider ACT or SAT scores” when deciding on the admission of a student.  However, many believe there is still aadvantage for those who have already taken the exams. 

“Colleges are rightfully emphasizing flexibility for the admissions process for this cycle; in the longer term as the admissions process is able to stabilize post-COVID-19, we will support our highered members as they implement permanent policies,” College Board said in a statement to U.S. News. 

Many have been insinuating that the College Board will be less influential in the future, and the organization will shrink in size. Critics are saying that many colleges who chose to be test-optional this year will stay that way in the future, only further eroding the board’s influence and power.  

do not believe College Board will have much power in the future because the exams that students have to pay a good amount of money for don’t always include the curriculum that is learned, and the rising number of students that have failed this year have paid for the exam just to fail,” Alicia Isenberg, sophomore, said. 

Predictions have been circulating about colleges transitioning to a different, less strenuous form of testing that assesses students’ capabilities more efficiently. Many are pushing for tests that match students’ capabilities and interests better, instead of being a barrier that many students encounter, without much regard to their future.  

“Eliminating the SAT essay and subject tests is an admission of some problems in the SAT system, but hardly enough of an overhaul,” Pat McGuire, President, Trinity Washington University.  The university does not currently require the test for admissions.  

McGuire is advocating for the College Board to eliminate the SAT as a whole and instead become a leader in working with different institutions to help students succeed in their different areas of interest, rather than forcing them down a general pathway 

I feel like the SAT is not an effective way to judge someone’s ability. You take the test one day out of the entire year and it’s supposed to reflect your overall ability and skill, but it really only shows how you did on that single day. The fact that colleges look at that so much is extremely stressful because it is not a good judge of overall skill,” Makayla Shaffer, junior, said. 

However, many disagreeemphasizing that the tests serve to validate hard work and achievement among students. They argue that eliminating the SAT would be difficult to do in such an environment.  

The College Board announced their plans to create a more flexible SAT — a streamlined, digitally delivered test that meets the evolving needs of students and higher education.” They did not release any additional details about the new SAT. 

“I think the College Board helps us to get ready for college by giving us opportunities to earn credit and take higher level classes. I think it will continue to do that in the future,” Kaitlyn Lewis, senior, said.  

Visit this link to see which colleges have opted to be test-optional this year. Make sure to stay on top of future updates through the College Board’s website.