Dressed to impress, but at what cost?

Alyssa Pearson

More stories from Alyssa Pearson

Dear Etowah…
April 19, 2022

Homecoming and Prom: the two biggest dances of the school year. While both events are popular attractions to the student body, they can also be expensive. 

“Homecoming was super fun. Ticket prices were a little expensive, but the school puts a lot into the decorations and the dance; they even had a DJ,” Katie Shay, sophomore, said. 

Hosted on Oct. 9, over 700 students attended the 2021 Homecoming. Tickets cost $15 per person, and while they are cheaper than Prom, they are still considered expensive for an entrance fee. As well as admissions prices, attendees also had to consider the cost of their outfits. In an Instagram poll, students submitted how much they paid for their dress attire, which ranged from $15 to $300. On top of clothes, guests had to add up dinner, corsages/boutonnieres, and pictures as well. 

“I do not think it [Homecoming prices] is worth it because it ended up being too expensive for just one night,” Josh Sebring, junior, said. 

For upperclassmen, students have the option to attend prom in April of 2022, which is pricier than Homecoming due to it being a more formal event. Along with what guests spend on Homecoming, they are paying more. Prom tends to be a bigger celebration at Etowah, so students are spending on extravagant extras such as transportation and bouquets. 

“I do not think it is worth it to spend a lot of money on Prom because it is only one night of your life, especially considering students may need that money for college or other events coming up in their life,” Jhene Sturdivant, senior, said. 

Some students believe the cost is worth it due to dances being a well-known part of the high school experience. Because Prom is for upperclassmen specifically and is one of their last major events before college, many find the festivity worthwhile to attend; however, others think that they are a waste of energy and preparation. 

“I think they [prices] are worth it because you are only going to get this experience once in high school, and it is one night of a fun time with your friends,” Gabrielle Bridges, senior, said. 

As the lights dim and the music starts to blast, students can forget the price tags and the many trips to the store to simply enjoy themselves at the dance.