Drawing up the plans for the year

Mia Jacobs

More stories from Mia Jacobs

The year 2020 has not been one for the record books but instead the history books. With all the changes in the school year, the arts are dealing with great challenges. Many art students question how they will be able to complete their assignments from home and get the most out of remote learning. 

“I’m not really worried about having my art class online this year. I know my teachers are prepared, and as long as I turn in my assignments on time, I should be good,” Ashlynne Pope, senior, said. 

Band students prepared for this change by completing online assignments that tested their abilities during last year’s chaos in quarantine. Students this year now have more experience in using the platform to the best of its strength. 

“We [band] had this cool software called Smart Music that we would use. The software would have our concert music, and we would play along with the recording. At the end it would give us a percentage of how well we did, “Ryan Lofland, junior, said.  

When in school, the chorus is not able to sing due to masks and social distancing. Instead, students would hum with their mouths closed to match the tune of the music. With the switch to online school, students are able to sing through their computers. 

“We are doing mock auditions for different things, such as All-State. We are focusing on rhythm more and learning music theory,” Bryanna Cali, junior, said.  

Visual arts teachers Joshua Saye and Shannah Dean have been preparing for the odds of having an online semester. Dean is planning on recording tutorial videos from her home to post on Canvas and YouTube for her students to follow and submit using Microsoft Office Lens.  

“It is definitely a learning curve because you do not have as much guidance when you are drawing, but I think I can adjust,” Stephen Wilson, freshman, said.  

With all of the sudden changes, the arts are set to have a great year at Etowah by doing what they know best: being creative.