Take your best shot

Nicole Martin

More stories from Nicole Martin

Summer bucket list
May 14, 2021

Photo credit to @etowahhfootball on Twitter

Lie on the ground. Steadily focus on slowing the lungs. Aim. Pull the trigger. Focus. There is not an inch of room to miss. Shoot. Junior ROTC is a program that equips students to enter a branch of the military. Marksmanship, or gun skills, is a primary focus of the class. In order to foster these skills, there is an after school program for the cadets in the class.

“Willing cadets come, and we practice Monday through Wednesday after school with air rifles that shoot small lead pellets at targets 10 meters away,” Cohen Nunes, senior Junior ROTC captain, said.

The students are tested on precision at the riflery competitions on Saturdays. During these meets, multiple schools compete in one-on-one matches. The quarter-sized targets are difficult to hit, testing many skills necessary for success, such as hand-eye coordination and breathing control.

“One of the big parts about marksmanship is what you’re thinking and controlling your mental attitude, and so a lot of the cadets, myself included, have learned to manage our stress and how much we’re thinking and what we’re thinking about a lot better because we’re constantly trying to clear our mind, so we can keep that perfect shot,” Nunes said.

Real-world situations in the military have many different circumstances in which one particular shooting form is needed. There are three stances for shooting. Prone is when the shooters lie on the ground and focus on their breathing. In the standing stance, shooters focus on the exact position of their arms and legs. Kneeling focuses on both body position and breathing control.

“It’s [standing stance] a lot more about being able to pin your arms to your side and to hold up the weight of the rifle,” Nunes said.

The class prepares students to be in the military, and the rifle meets are a way for Junior ROTC students to practice what they learn in the class.