Etowah’s favorite things of 2015

More stories from Zazil Aguilar

As another year passes, Etowah students reflect back and share their favorite things of 2015. There were many new releases of apps, music, movies and television shows that students experienced throughout the year.

Many students were more thrilled for their favorite television show’s seasons premieres than new television series. AMC’s The Walking Dead’s season six aired on October 11. The Walking Dead series has grown tremendously, not only as a show but a brand. The Walking Dead logo and characters are printed on cups, apparel, toys and gifts. Its video game series is also successful with multiple stories available to play on different types of game consoles. Although The Walking Dead franchise and loyal fan base is flourishing, it was not the voted favorite television show. Etowah’s favorite television show of 2015 is Grey’s Anatomy. The show first aired ten years ago but its popularity only seems to grow as time goes by. The drama created, produced and written by Shonda Rhimes, follows a set of interns aspiring to become the best surgeons possible at a hospital in Seattle, Washington. As the Grey’s Anatomy series continues, there a very intense moments and events. Every episode is different from another as the setting either tells a story of moment of relief or tragedy, basically life or death. A spin-off to Grey’s called Private Practice aired in 2007 and continued for six seasons. This show creates a balance of showing the personal lives of the characters, while still demonstrating a hospital workplace. Season 12 of Grey’s Anatomy premiered September 24, 2015 and the continuation of the show is surprising accounting for many of the main characters no longer appear. Netflix also plays a role in the popularity and growth of the audience. Seasons one through eleven are available to stream instantly and offer viewers the option to binge watch the series.

During the summer, the greatly anticipated movie, Jurassic World directed by Collin Trevorrow, premiered and instantly became a blockbuster of 2015. Although this movie did not earn the highest vote for favorite movie, it was a close second. Viewers will follow a theme park built on the site of Jurassic Park (1993) and be held in suspense and amazed by the detailed dinosaur animations the action-packed movie displays. Many people feared the movie would not meet the qualities the original movie directed by Steven Spielberg held. With a 98 percent approval rating and five out of five stars on rottentomatoes.com, there is no wonder Disney’s Inside Out is named as Etowah’s favorite movie of 2015. Inside Out has been described as “the perfect family movie”, it is enjoyable for young, old and everyone in between. The animated film goes beyond what most of the older audience had expected; it maintained the precise amount of humor, tears, and heart-warming moments all in a 120 minute time span. Inside Out takes story-telling to another level exploring the imagination and feelings of an 11-year-old making a big change. Also, it describes journey of the adorable five main characters Joy, Sadness, Fear, Disgust and Anger and how they interact with each other. While combining the two plots, the movie successfully demonstrates the struggles of human emotion and the human brain while it is appropriate for all audiences.

There were many artists who released musical masterpieces in 2015. Top 40 radio stations across the world replayed these catchy songs and it becomes difficult to not sing along or bust a move. Ten-time Grammy winner, Adele, did not only return with her first chart-topping single in four years titled “Hello”, but also dropped its music video that removed Taylor Swift’s “Bad Blood” as Vevo’s most viewed video in 24 hours. The highly emotional song did not receive all of Etowah’s love but enough to secure second place. Drake’s “Hotline Bling” is his highest charting song since 2009, according to mtv.com. The enchanting elevator music accompanied by D.R.A.M.’s “Cha Cha” instrumentals in the song’s background and monotonous lyrics make it almost impossible not to jam whenever it is heard. The hip-hop artist’s single “Hotline Bling” is crowned Etowah’s favorite song of 2015.

This year, Drake has proved to be a triumphant singer/rapper.  However, for many his most impressionable action of 2015 is his freestyle dancing in the music video for “Hotline Bling”. His interpretive dance sparked a reaction of remixes and parodies but was only a small portion of 2015’s obsession with dance moves. Iconic dance moves this year were introduced by songs including “Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae)” by Silentó and “Hit the Quan” by ILoveMemphis, both singles quickly became mass sensations. Everyone and their neighbor have nailed the footwork to these viral songs.  From presidential candidates who “whip and nae nae”, news anchors who “hit the quan” on live television and professional athletes who celebrate with a “dab dance”, the unique dance moves are easily the student’s favorite thing of 2015.

The Etowah’s favorite social media of 2015 is Snapchat. The popular social media application has made immense alterations in 2015, some were wildly favored while others were not. In January, Snapchat removed the availability to view user’s “best friends”, the disappearance of this particular feature angered many Snapchat users. More updates followed implementing items such as “friend emojis”, geofilters, trophies, live stories, Snapcash and a discover page. With one update, Snapchat had managed to change selfies, a phenomenon itself. In September, the app implemented “Lenses”, live animated effects that are available while taking a selfie creating an illusions like being underwater, transforming into a zombie or becoming a real-life emoticon with hearts for eyes. “Speed Modifiers” are the latest releases where a video can be altered to play in slow motion, fast forward or rewind.