Stand tall, talk small and play ball

More stories from Amanda Ediae-Holly

“The third quarter is the most important part of the game,” JJ Edwards, junior said. “The first half of that quarter basically predicts who is going to win the game.”

Varsity Boys basketball team first game was Nov. 14 against Marist High School. Although Etowah did not walk away with the first win, it was a fantastic way to kick off the beginning of the season.

I’m just happy to have earned the position I have.

— Adrian Cohen

The game started with a brief moment of silence to honor the victims of Paris Attack and then introduced of all the players on both teams. The Etowah Eagles tipped off the ball and got the game started.

After finishing the second quarter, the Etowah tied Marist 23-23. After a brief halftime and a newfound view on the game, Etowah went into the third quarter.

With a minute and 23 seconds left on the clock, before the end of the third quarter, the score was 27-36 with the Etowah nine points behind on the scoreboard.

The game finished with a score of 42-53 with Marist taking the win.

“On the court the only thing I ever really think about is score, stop, and score when it comes to offense,” Edwards said.

Edwards plays guard on the court and believes that the game season is bright and going to be positive.

“We all are just hoping to provide valuable minutes when we are off of the bench,” Edwards said.

This is the first season where they have had a younger Varsity team. Julian Baldwin(10), Adrian Cohen(23), Carter Ingersoll (22) and Andrew Stimpson(14) make up the sophomore division of the Varsity team.

“When I’m on the court I just try to make the best play I can and do what’s best to help the team win,” Adrian Cohen, sophomore said. “Sometimes I mess up, but have to keep playing and not get down on myself.”

Cohen is a small forward and the first starting sophomore.

“Before every game I still get nervous, but that’s a good thing sometimes,” Cohen said.” I’m just happy to have earned the position I have.”

After the first game Cohen was in optimistic thoughts.

Cohen felt like the team didn’t play as hard as they possibly could and also underestimated the team that they faced, but is sure that it won’t happen again.

The leaders of the team, seniors, are necessary additions to the team this season due to their experience with the teams they have played in the past and are scheduled to play.

On the sidelines, with just as an important job, is the assistant coach, Trevis Griffith junior. He works with the coaches and gives them ideas for plays and who to put in the game next.

“I want to go to school for sports management so being able to work the coaches is helping gain experience,” Griffith said.

While watching on the side of the court, Griffith has been able to determine who the strongest players are early in theseason.

“Ryan Grigsby, Cj Pleasant, Daniel Hogue and Kam Hickey have really showed up early this season,” Griffith said, “As for the sophomores Adrian is a starter and is doing really well especially for playing with older team mates.” Griffith said.