Raising filled eyebrows to the usage of makeup

More stories from Amanda Ediae-holly

Oscars so white
February 27, 2016

From the earliest forms of life to the present day, makeup has played an important part of female life. In early 2013, the rage was mastering the perfectly symmetric wing eyeliner and smokey eye. Now, all makeup gurus are crazy about “on fleek”, or perfectly drawn and arched, eyebrows.

From super skinny brows in the early ‘90s to fuller healthier brows, it is not rare to see a group of girls with a thicker set of brows.

“I think that they have made a statement in the past two years. Fuller is better in terms of the natural look,” Nina Valente, freshmen, said.

On the subject of makeup, some argue a natural look is better. But celebrities such as the Kardashian family and the Real Housewives see nothing wrong with adding more than a little emphasis to their look.

In high school, it could be argued that students wear far too much makeup leaving parents wondering what fashion show is their child walking in, but in the average teen girl’s mind, it is a way to emphasize their natural features.

Most guys don’t understand the struggle behind the work some girls put in to achieve their dream look.

“Who are they trying to impress? They have 180 days at school and I don’t understand why they spend so much time on such a little thing,” Cayden Rechsteiner, sophomore, said.

Many males have the same feelings regarding the topic and feel like it’s a waste to spend so much time on something you wash off at the end of every day.

“Its like salad dressing,” Tristan Bernard, junior said. “Too much on a salad wilts the lettuce.”

Makeup is an expression of who you are and how you would like to be viewed.

“I don’t think it matters how much makeup a girl wears because a girl who wears a lot of makeup would never tell another girl she doesn’t wear enough,” Katie Sage, senior, said.

It has become acceptable for the younger generation to step out with “cake face”, or several layers of makeup. It is a choice you make, but you should also look into making sure your skin stays healthy and hydrated- makeup looks its best on a healthy face. Just because a company slaps “BB cream” or “Acne fighter” on the side of the jar does not make a difference because as one puts on more makeup, it defeats the purpose of the product.

“Some wear far too much,” JJ Edwards, junior, said. “It is used to enhance beauty but sometimes is used in excessive amounts. It doesn’t hurt to use it, but using the right amount definitely helps.”