Put some pep in your step, Eagles

McKenna Guinn

More stories from Mckenna Guinn

Dear Etowah…
September 3, 2019

Over the years, the wild cheers from the student section of Etowah’s past have dwindled into dull wails. Etowah’s school spirit has plummeted recently, and the Eagles need to find a way to amp fans back up. 

“School spirit is just like being a crazy fanatic for a pro team like myself. Etowah is a representation of our community and us as students and people. We should take pride in that and always root for our own, in the rowdiest and most fun ways possible. It gives us an advantage at whatever it is we’re competing in and gives us that sense of pride and that no one can stand in our way,” Ryan Melligan, senior, said. 

Pep rallies used to be a fun way to express school spirit, get everyone excited for the upcoming game, and give recognition to the sports teams of Etowah. Now, pep rallies seem to only be a way for students to leave class early. 

“Everyone [who] usually leaves for pep rallies would much rather just go home than sit in the gym. Maybe if the whole school was more involved, and there was more pep to the pep rallies, it would be more interesting, and more people would want to attend,” Savana Lambert, junior, said.  

There is also an absence of enthusiasm towards events held during the school day. Red Ribbon Week is designated to teach students to stay away from drugs. Typically, each day has a different theme where students have the option to dress up accordingly. This year, many students opted out of participating.  

“I think I would have tried to participate had I known it was even going on. I honestly just thought it was a regular week because I didn’t see anyone else out of the ordinary,” Kayden Lewis, junior, said.  

Etowah’s school spirit is lacking, and it is up to the student body to regain Eagle pride. Support the school, cheer loudly, and be proud to be part of #EagleNation.