Dear Etowah…

McKenna Guinn

More stories from Mckenna Guinn

Alyssa Pearson

More stories from Alyssa Pearson

Dear Etowah…
April 19, 2022
Nicole Martin

More stories from Nicole Martin

Summer bucket list
May 14, 2021
Dear+Etowah...

Dear Freshman, 

Congratulations! You are officially at the bottom of the food chain. Welcome to Etowah High School: the place where you are no longer the big bad dog on campus. Do not be intimidated. You might see a 6-foot senior with a full-grown beard walking the halls, but he will not harm you.  

My freshman year, I had to personally embrace the fact that no one likes the ninth graders. It is common that sophomores, juniors, and seniors see you as the most annoying grade. Go ahead and get used to the fact that you will always be called “freshie.” Oh, and do not worry about everyone yellingGo home freshmen!” We only kind of mean it. 

Secondly, being a freshman means getting used to the open campus. I remember being completely overwhelmed by the fact that I had to get to my next period as quickly as possible. Since the campus is so big, I suggest you run to your classes. No one will know you are a freshman, and you will get to class early. 

Now that you are in high school, you have more of an opportunity to be involved in the school. This includes football games. The best thing to do as a freshman is to sit with all the seniors. You will immediately be the coolest in your grade. Disregard all the water bottles they throw at you; it is their way of welcoming you. Also, if anyone tells you to go home, be sure to answer, “I cannot go home because my mom is not here yet.” 

Overall, being a freshman is super cool. My favorite part of my first year in high school was going up to the pool on the roof. I got a really cheap elevator pass for $10 last year from a random, sketchy senior. If you meet me in the bathroom by the library, I can give you some extra passes I bought with my sophomore discount. I wish you the best of luck for this coming year. 

Former freshman, 

Alyssa Pearson  

Dear sophomores,

Go on and give yourself a round of applause for surviving freshman year. Now you can walk around the school like you own the place, right? Wrong.

You might be able to tell the freshmen about your experiences last year, bragging about your long earned wisdom, but wait. You are still an underclassman. In fact, you are not even halfway done with high school. What does this mean? It means that you have three more years of waking up before the sun meets the sky and dragging yourself through seven periods on another “goooood morning Eagle Mountain,” blaring over the speakers.

With sophomore year comes many new opportunities. For example, when you turn sixteen, you can finally drive yourself to school, but with this freedom comes uncomfortable factors . Yes, you get a license, car, and parking spot, but be warned: where you park will most likely be by the soccer fields. Get ready to whip out that umbrella on rainy mornings and walk half a mile to your first class with one earbud in and the other out. Freedom, right?

That being said, do not take your high school experience for granted. Most of us only get one chance as a sophomore. Whether that means spending all your money at the Dollar Tree to dress in spirit for the football games, coming home after a long practice drenched in sweat, or studying until midnight, you can make this year what you want it to be.

Sincerely,

Nicole Martin

Dear Juniors,  

It is sink or swim now, and I am not going to sugar coat it: this is the toughest year of high school. This is the year when you really need to make sure your seat belt is buckled because it is going to be a wild ride. Thankfully, I am here to offer you some advice on what I have learned so you can avoid making the same mistakes. In case you did not catch it the first time, this is the most challenging year of high school. 

During my junior year, I had a lot of trouble staying on top of the schoolwork that was thrown at me from every direction. During this overwhelming cycle, I learned that it is so much easier to deal with things as you are given them. It is difficult to gain the motivation to get everything done, but it is essential in your success, so put your phone down and knock out that math homework. It will only make future assignments easier. 

Another thing I realized is that within a few months, I would be a senior and then I would be graduating. Then high school would be over. Along with staying on top of everything, you also need to have fun and enjoy the next two years because you are only in high school once. Make sure you take advantage of that. Meet new people, join clubs and sports, and make your final years great. 

Overall, junior year is tough, but you are tougher. Stay on top of your assignments, do not procrastinate, and this year has the potential to be the best year in your high school experience. Work before you play. Then have a blast. You got this, juniors! 

Sincerely,

Mckenna Guinn