• November 15Go support the Shop With An Eagle program at the dodgeball tournament tomorrow!

• November 15Congrats to all Etowah senior signees!

• November 10Congrats to the Aquaeagles on their first place win at the relay meet!

Cooking up something at Etowah

Holly Kate O’Brien

More stories from Holly Kate O'Brien

After nine years of teaching, new Etowah teacher Amanda Shafer has decided to pursue what she loves and teach Nutrition and Food Science. She has decided to take over the FCCLA (Family Career Community Leaders of America) club because she wanted to be a part of Career and Technical Organizations and promote Family and Computer Science.

“Involvement in FCCLA offers members the opportunity to expand their leadership potential and develop skills for life planning, goal setting, problem solving, decision making, and interpersonal communication — necessary in the home and workplace,” Shafer said.

President Kennady Holloway, senior, and Vice-President Kadee Tiberio, junior, are the student leaders. The two help each other out by working together to make FCCLA better. They also find community service and events for the club to participate in.

“FCCLA is an amazing club that has brought me great opportunities, and I enjoy being the vice-president of such a great club,” Tiberio said.

To make this year better for the FCCLA club, Shafer plans to go on more field trips and attend more Students Taking Action with Recognition (STAR) competitions in Atlanta. Here, students will compete in events to be recognized for their proficiency and achievement in leaderships skills and career preparation.

Shafer is excited to continue hosting club meeting host her first club meeting on Aug. 23 in her classroom at 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.

About the Writer
Holly Kate O'Brien, Student Life Supervisor

Hi! My name is Holly Kate O’Brien and I am a sophomore this year. I like writing because I am able to express myself. I have a love for laughing, my...