Technology integration in classrooms

Kellie Little

More stories from Kellie Little

Technology in classrooms has been a controversial topic since texting was introduced. It is an easy way to communicate with anyone while you are supposed to be doing work. The temptation is obvious.

The debate over technology in the classroom is ongoing and while most schools have rules about phones, students know it always comes down to the teacher. Technology has become a part of daily life, and giving students detention every time they are caught is not solving the problem.

That is why Canvas is so important.

With Canvas replacing Aspen next year, there will be a change in dynamics. Canvas, unlike Aspen, is pocket-sized. There is a free app. Canvas gives students the ability to get automatic updates when assignments and grades are put in, when assignments are due, and even gives students an opportunity to take a picture of their work and send it to their teacher. Some students have already gotten to experience Canvas; a group of teachers are in the beta process of introducing Canvas to Etowah.

Canvas also has analytics. Your analytics will tell you, your teachers, and your parents how much time you spend on an assignment. If you keep failing your math tests, expect your parents to check your analytics to see if you are actually doing the work or merely rushing through it.

Technology is becoming essential in this day and age. Even so, there are always students who abuse the ability to use their resources in class. The punishment is not knowing the material and failing the test. Try as they might, teachers will not be able to stop the technology craze, and the only way for some students to learn that using their phone in class is unnecessary is by letting them deal with the consequences.

Technology is a resource and needs to be treated as such. Like yesterday’s students doodling in textbooks, today’s students snapchat in class. There is always a way to get lost and stop paying attention. There is no need to take away technology when it has the potential to benefit us greatly.