More than a signature

It is a day many high school athletes dream of. All of your hard work and dedication over the past four years have paid off as you officially sign to play for the college of your dreams. Over the last few months, Etowah athletes have been participating in signing days to recognize their accomplishments and announce what school they will be attending. These are just three of many seniors who signed this year.  

Carson Allen: 

Carson Allen, Etowah Varsity Football team’s star kicker, signed to Mississippi State University for football on Feb. 1, and says that it was a very special day for him as he had his family and friends supporting him in the crowd. While he had been committed to Mississippi since August, this was the final step he needed to take to announce to the school that he was all in. In his career playing high school football, Allen had several outstanding accomplishments including being named the number one left footed kicker in the nation his junior year. Allen says that this was the defining moment that he knew he had a chance to take the sport he loved to the highest level. Allen plans on majoring in Biomedical Engineering and, in his career as a college athlete, is excited about playing the sport he loves in an amazing environment while meeting new people. 

“I would like to thank my family for constantly believing in me and sacrificing their time for me to succeed. I would like to thank all my coaches throughout high school who believed in me. I would also like to thank my recruiter for helping me get my name out there to receive real college interest,” Allen said.  

Astrid Medina: 

Astrid Medina, a star swimmer on the Etowah Swim Team who specializes in backstroke and freestyle, signed to California State University, Bakersfield. While she was not able to have a signing day, this is a huge achievement as she signed to a D1 school, which is the highest level in college sports. In her high school career, Medina had several outstanding accomplishments, including placing 3rd at the state championships, being nominated as Etowah’s Woman Athlete of the Year, and qualifying for the junior nationals. Medina plans on majoring in Environmental Research Management and, in her career as a college athlete, is excited to train with a team of people who are going to push her to be the athlete and person she can be.   

“I would like to thank my parents for taking me to all my practices and meets and being my biggest supporters, along with my best friends (Hailey Weiner, Brooke Belsito, and Erin Bradley) and teammates for being with me through all my ups and downs. [I would also like to thank] my club coach (Mark Schilling) for making me the athlete and person I am today,” Medina said.  

Allie Sierra: 

Allie Sierra, a libero/defense specialist on the Etowah Varsity Volleyball team, signed to Ogelthorpe University on April 12 and says that it was a day full of appreciation and love as her friends, teammates, and coaches were all there to support her. Sierra says that it meant the world to have them there as they were all such an integral part of her journey. In her high school volleyball career, Sierra had several outstanding accomplishments including being a 3-time defensive player of the year, 4-time scholar-athlete, region honorable mention, 2-time 2nd team all-region, and had over 865 career digs. In college, Sierra plans on majoring in biopsychology on an allied health track. As she begins her career as a college athlete, Sierra is excited to meet new players and coaches while also playing in higher levels of competition.  

“I would like to thank my parents for putting me into the sport in 8th grade while always supporting me for every tournament and practice. I would also like to thank Coach Jones for taking a chance on me by putting me on varsity. Most importantly, my performance coaches for pushing me to be the best athlete I can be,” Sierra said.  

Congratulations to all of the seniors who signed this year! While they may not be an Eagle anymore, Etowah will support these students in their journey as a college athlete.