Gymnastics team flips into a new season

Libby Reach

More stories from Libby Reach

A kickin’ summer
April 22, 2019
Back to Article
Back to Article

Gymnastics team flips into a new season

Chalk-covered hands. Warm-ups in the corner. The music starts. The bars shake. The crowd holds its breath as gymnasts tumble. Anticipation builds. This is a normal competition day for Etowah gymnastics, though not every day is competition day. More often than not, the girls practice their skills at the gym. 

I always want to instill in the girls a true sense of self-worth and self-confidence and a team spirit. Those are more important than any gymnastics skill they will ever have,” Jessica Sprecher, coach, said. 

Last year, the girls made it to the state competition and placed fourth. This year, they are working diligently to earn their first-place spot. 

“We are always looking at last year’s scores and the skills that they incorporated into each event last year to see what they can add on this year to improve their start values on each event. These girls are so willing to try new things and go the extra mile,” Sprecher, said. 

The girls compete six times throughout the season with the help of their two managers Marci Markham and Lauren King. Markham and King, former gymnasts, are eager to support their team throughout the competition season. Since they are unable to compete due to injuries, they enjoy traveling to meets, helping out at practices, and being included with the team. They are always there with extra hair supplies and all the essential first aid equipment. 

“My favorite part about managing is being able to see all the girls having so much fun competing and still being able to be a part of the team,” Markham, freshman, said. 

Every Wednesday, the team practices for two hours at World of Gymnastics. Sprecher coaches with Lynn Froman, a mother of one of the girls. 

“We have been working hard on our skills and routines at practice every week to make sure we reach our goals for this season,” Jayden Rutledge, sophomore, said. 

Come see the team compete March 23 against Roswell at 2:30 p.m. at Roswell.  

About the Writer
Libby Reach, Reporter

Hi! I am Libby Reach and I am a freshman. I love writing and being on the Talon staff. My favorite thing about being on staff is that I get to make...