• March 6Prom tickets are now on sale on Etowah's homepage!

Raffety’s first flight

Hannah Griffin

More stories from Hannah Griffin

Back to Article
Back to Article

Raffety’s first flight

Another Eagle is soaring to excellence this summer. Junior Kyle Raffety is on his way to flight school, one of 150 students nationwide to win a scholarship to earn his pilot’s license.  

The Air Force selected the JROTC Cadet for its Air Force Chief of Staff Flight Academy Scholarship. The scholarship completely pays for food, room and board, transportation to and from the university of Raffety’s choice, aviation training and ground school, and an issued flight suit with his own name tag. Raffety will be awarded his private pilot’s license upon graduation.  

Not only does one need to be wellequipped with basic aviation knowledge and pass the Aviation Qualification Test (AQT), but he must also show adequate stress and situational management. Being alone in an airplane is a dangerous environment for someone who does not know how to react well under stress, so it is crucial that a future pilot can be able to stay calm and focused if something goes wrong while in flight.  

“You need to be able to react and think clearly,” Raffety said. 

A private pilot’s license allows somebody at the age of 16 to fly a single engine aircraft alone for a certain distance, between certain hours. Earning this license is the starting point to becoming a pilot. 

“This is kind of like the elementary school of becoming a pilot where you learn all the basics on how to fly,” Raffety said. 

After Raffety receives his private pilot’s license, he plans to go into the United States Marines. Raffety has always been interested in the military but has fluctuated between the Air Force and the Marines. He determined that the Marines is the branch for him when he was 12 years old after he watched a United States Marines commercial on TV.  

“I respect all branches of the military, and I respect everything they do, but for me, the Marines just hits home every time I hear about it,” Raffety said.  

Other than his parents, Raffety believes that his biggest supporter has been Master Sergeant Hagarman. Though Raffety did not think he was going to get the scholarship this year, Hagarman kept him motivated.  

“She pushed me and has kept me going through it all,” Raffety said.  

Congratulations Cadet Raffety for winning the scholarship and serving your country.  

About the Writer
Hannah Griffin, Reporter

Hey! I am Hannah Griffin and this is my first year on staff. I love spending time with my family, hanging with my friends, and cheerleading. I am a small...