Help! I am stranded

More stories from Daynie Armstrong

Some of you will not read this article, and it shows. In recent years, some household items have become a symbol of wealth. This includes, but is not limited to, extravagant pools, kitchen islands, and big modern bathrooms. The new saying, “Some of you have an island in your kitchen, and it shows,” became synonymous with the upper middle class, the wealthiest of suburbs.  

“There is a kitchen island in their house, which means their kitchen is bigger, which means they are rich,” Kimberly Pope, freshman, said.  

The popular phrase originated from Twitter. Rich people memes, memes that mock wealth with phrases like “I don’t speak broke,are a popular trend. It began with AirPod jokes before quickly snowballing into: “If you have a kitchen island, you are filthy rich.” 

“It makes me laugh [the Tweet about kitchen islands] because it is really accurate,” Quinn Anderson, freshman, said. 

High school is a critical place, and many students are shamed for the brand of their phone or if their earbuds have wire. If there is an alternative, there is room for judgement. 

“I think that Tweet is super funny because different people can relate to the Tweet many ways,” Abby Higgs, sophomore, said.  

Some might say that having a kitchen island is not a sign of wealth; it merely means that their kitchen is different from others. Kitchens do not need an island to be posh. Some kitchens have expensive breakfast bars or spacious cabinets. Rich people just like flexing with weird, virtually unused additions in their kitchen. 

“Someone looks different and acts different, but they are just as much of a person as you and I are,” Mariela Marinez, freshman, said. 

Most students do not really use their kitchen islands unless they are making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Students should not feel less important if they do not have an island because it is not about what you have; it is about who you are.