Snaps not claps

Angel Beltran

More stories from Angel Beltran

Snaps not claps

For centuries, poems have been a way for people to express themselves and portray meaning in the world. Poetry Out Loud allows students to show their appreciation towards the art. 

“Poetry Out Loud, to me, is just another way to challenge myself and learn more about other people who share the same interests I do,” Sophia Stewart, sophomore, said. 

Poetry Out Loud is a competition where students recite a poem from memory. It helps students practice public speaking skills and boost their self-confidence.  

Stewart won the Etowah competition and competed in regionals against winners at other metro-Atlanta high schools at the Atlanta History Center on Feb. 16. She also received $25 and a notebook for winning at Etowah. 

“Performing, no matter which format, has always given me a sense of accomplishment and pride in myself and my work. I love being able to share the things I love, and I love the rush of adrenaline from performing,” Stewart said. 

The Poetry Out Loud staff composed a list of poems before the competition that the students could choose to perform. They are scored on their overall performance, so many chose poems that meant something to them like nature, love, or family. 

“I choose poems I could put emotion into. ‘Becoming a Redwood’ is about the sounds of nature and the peace of life, and being able to tap into that part of me, helped in conveying those same feelings to my audience. Focusing on what your presentation makes you feel, can seep into your performance and create something worthwhile,” Sydney Khan, junior, said. 

Poetry Out Loud is one more way Etowah allows its students to express themselves.