• March 6Prom tickets are now on sale on Etowah's homepage!

Blood rush

Jazz Sturdivant

More stories from Jazz Sturdivant

Every two seconds, someone needs blood. Next month, Etowah students will be able to help those in need again. Each year, HOSA and JROTC host the blood drives in October, January, and March. Blood drives are a way for students to make a difference.

“You could save up to three lives with one donation,” Megan King, HOSA teacher, said.

HOSA and JROTC members gain experience working with patients. At the last blood drive, HOSA had more than 100 student donors and collected 73 pints of blood.

“We partner with the Red Cross to help the community, help those in need,” MSGT Tanya Hagarman, JROTC teacher, said.

The next blood drive at Etowah will be in March. Students who wish to contribute must be at least 16 and meet weight and iron level requirements. After signing up, students must then choose a time slot to go donate. Those who contribute receive a complimentary t-shirt and some snacks.

“I enjoyed the experience to see people doing something good for the community,” Alyssa Medley, HOSA member, said.

Regardless of blood type, anyone can donate and help make a difference. For anyone looking to donate, JROTC will be hosting the next blood drive in March. Donating may just help save someone’s life.

About the Writer
Jazz Sturdivant, Reporter/Photographer

I’m sorry the old Jhene can’t to the phone right now. Why? Because she’s watching Vampire Diares.