Etowah junior commits to Stanford for football

More stories from Lillie Russell

From the ACT to AP classes, the beginning of junior year starts the college process for many students.  Yet one Etowah junior, Stuart Head, was able to bypass this process and has recently committed to Stanford University for football in the fall of 2017.

“I see Stanford as a great adventure for me to learn and progress as a man on my own,” Head said.  “It’s exciting to know I’ll be a part of such a special school and football program.”

Head began playing football when he was nine; it was evident he possessed a pure talent for the sport.  Fast forward to high school, and Head was on the Etowah Varsity Team.  Originally a quarterback, he changed to defensive back during his sophomore year.

“Stuart is not only an outstanding football player, but he is a leader both on and off the field.  The opportunity for him to continue his football career and get a Stanford education is pretty hard to beat,” Etowah Head Coach Dave Svehla said.

Many universities showed interest in Head during his sophomore and junior years.  Within this time span, he received over 16 offers from almost every ACC School including Clemson and Georgia Tech.

The Head family traveled to Palo Alto during Thanksgiving to tour Stanford and Head, “fell in love with it.”

On Dec. 24 2015, Head announced on Twitter to his 2,300 followers that he had officially committed to Stanford with a tweet that received over 200 re-tweets and 800 favorites.

Stanford offered Head a full football scholarship.

Head was a pivotal member of the Etowah football team as they went to the Final 4 championship in 2014 and the Sweet 16 in 2015.  Head was recognized as an All- State, All- Region, and All- County player for his sophomore and junior seasons as well as Etowah’s Defensive MVP for the second time.

“I loved the bond our team had this year,” Head said.  “It was fun to celebrate with my teammates on and off the field.  We (Etowah) went 8-3 this season and I feel like we worked hard for every bit of it.”