S’no(w) days off

More stories from Hannah Griffin

Mother’s Day DIY
May 10, 2019

As the weather gets colder and colder, the chances of a snow day are increasing. This is the prime time for the Cherokee County School District’s (CCSD) digital learning experiment.  

This school year, CCSD launched monthly digital learning days for all grade levels in the district. This program is intended to increase the amount of technology-based teaching and to prepare planned use of Canvas for continued instruction during inclement weather school closings. The county wants students to complete activities at home to make sure that all students have access to the Canvas assignments during the snow days.  

“They [digital learning assignments] are easy and useful,” Brayden O’Neil, sophomore, said. 

Another measure the county has taken to incorporate technology in students’ educations is the purchase of laptop and iPad carts. Media specialists in CCSD schools have been advised to encourage students to use iPads and laptops throughout the school year. The county has also planned a science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) night on Jan. 31 where parents can participate in online activities with their children. 

“I think digital learning is important and I would definitely rather do an online assignment than take up days of our break,” Claire Williams, freshman, said.  

In August, the school board hosted a session focused on classroom instruction and education programs and services. Along with digital learning days, the school board emphasized new initiatives such as the expansion of the Special Education Department’s program, revamping the Senior Project to the Senior Capstone, and the modification of report card grades.  

“Now that the Senior Capstone is over, I feel relieved. I am also grateful for the experience. I have always known what I wanted to do, but I had no idea how to get there. The Senior Capstone really helped me figure out my plans after high school,” Madeline Fisher, senior, said.  

Many teachers support the idea of digital learning and educating students through technology. Teachers have been ahead of the game and already assign homework on Canvas, but other teachers would rather teach with paper and pencil.  

“I think it [digital learning] is a great alternative to making up school days on February break,” Brittany Chandler, English teacher, said. 

Most students are not thrilled with the idea of doing homework during the snow days. Others say that it will not be that big of a deal because the snow days are boring anyway. Some students at Etowah do not know that digital learning days are preparation for homework on snow days.  

“I feel like students should enjoy the snow days,” Julia Jensen, freshman, said.  

Though digital learning days give us homework during snow days, they still give students and teachers a chance to enjoy the snow days at home.