Walker’s last words

Madeline Fisher

More stories from Madeline Fisher

Instas vs. Finstas
May 13, 2019

The year was 1983, Coach Buddy Walker started his first year at Etowah High School, and this year he had decided to retire.   

Walker taught at Tennessee Technological University for two years teaching handball, badminton and soccer. Also at his old high school, Lenoir City High School, he monitored study hall and coached football, for a year. His first year at Etowah, he taught driver’s education, and coached football and wrestling.    

Originally, Walker wanted to be a doctor, but after meeting his high school gym teacher and being unimpressed with his determination and teaching style, Walker was set on becoming a better one.   

“He was my motivation,” Walker said.  

Rumor has it that Walker said he was going to retire a long time ago, but never did. 

41rr

I was scared, I wasn’t for sure what I was going to do,” Walker said.  

Sadly, it is official, this is Walker’s final year. His last years at Etowah have been spent teaching health, team sports, and coaching football.  

“I have had such great classes,” Walker said.  

Among the things that have changed in his years at Etowah are the school’s sports class ranking from AAA to AAAAAA. He has also seen a new auditorium, administration building, a new gym, a new field house, a new science building and the renovation of Etowah East.   

While he has coached golf, football, wrestling, soccer and baseball he said his favorite sport is football with wrestling coming in at a close second. 

Walker retells the stories of his favorite memories from Etowah with going to the semifinals for the varsity football team as his favorite.  

Walker said his favorite year was 2008, the year the new gym was built. 

“We were finally able to have the room to do the things that we have always wanted to do,” Walker said.  

You can ask anyone at Etowah if they know Coach Buddy and they always have something positive to say. The Talon staff wishes Coach Buddy all the best in his retirement.

31r