Wrestling champion returns

More stories from Libby Reach

A champion Eagle has returned to the nest to nurture Etowah’s wrestling program into a contender. Jeremiah Lutz is coaching the same team he competed on when he was in high school.  

“I thought it was a really cool opportunity to come back and coach,” Lutz said. 

Lutz followed in his family’s footsteps by attending Etowah. After graduation, he competed at Brewton-Parker College before transferring to Emmanuel College, where he won a national wrestling championship in 2017.  

While this is his first year as head coach, Lutz was an assistant coach last year at Milton High School. 

“They won region last year, so I want to capitalize on that and keep improving every year,” Lutz said. 

Lutz is the new academic recovery teacher; his experience as a student here made the position even more appealing to him.  

“My whole family also went here, so just being able to come back, I just couldn’t turn that down,” Lutz said. 

The team has several athletes who aspire to wrestle beyond high school. Lutz hopes that his team will get the chance to compete at a national level. 

“I think we have a good opportunity for some of our guys to get scholarships,” Lutz said. 

Lutz has enjoyed his first semester back at Etowah and is adapting to working with those who once taught him. Lutz’s new position allows him to give students all the opportunities one provided to him. 

“It’s really good to come into an environment where people want to help you and want to see you succeed,” Lutz said. 

Lutz is bringing old memories, new skills, and fierce wrestling moves to Etowah.