Color our world

Tania Diaz de Leon

More stories from Tania Diaz de Leon

Sometimes it seems like Etowah has the same beige walls in every building. This year two teachers had the idea to brighten up the hallways of Etowah to instill more school spirit. Robert Horn approved the idea which is why student artists are painting artwork to hang in different places around the school.

‘’I think it [paintings] will invigorate the students and staff and just create a better atmosphere around the school, and when people are happier and enjoy coming to school, they tend to perform better,’’ Carter said.

Victoria Carter, math teacher, and Amanda Massey, economics teachers, instructed Shanna Dean, art teacher, to do the paintings. Dean’s second period painting class designed its paintings in order to try and capture the essence of Etowah. Artists created pieces such as drawing students’ faces and other important parts of Etowah such as sports and the fine arts.

‘’I feel they look really good. I’m happy with them,’’ Dean said.

Dean split her second period class into and gave each a blank canvas to paint. There are seven paintings in total. A decision has not been made on where the paintings will be hung up yet.

‘’I think they [paintings] represent Etowah really well, and I was determined to create something that was true to Etowah,’’ Alexa Hanna, senior, said.

The murals brighten up the walls of Etowah, and students can admire the creativity and effort every time they pass by. The paintings provide a sense of school spirit for students and staff.