Chasing success

Nicole Martin

More stories from Nicole Martin

Summer bucket list
May 14, 2021

There are 43,122 students in the Cherokee County School District (CCSD), and only one student is in charge of helping the school board make decisions for them all. Principal Robert Horn and a few teachers chose Etowah senior Chase Thomas for this role as student advisor.

“I definitely want to make a difference in CCSD, but I also want to make sure that I’m respectful of everyone else’s opinions and that I’m doing right by our school and every school in Cherokee County,” Thomas said.

Each high school in Cherokee County also chooses a student delegate to represent each individual school. Since the student advisor is from Etowah, there is no additional student delegate for the school. Each delegate has an equal vote on policies.

“I talk with the other student delegates and with people from the school, so mainly officials from the student government and just students themselves, about what they think could be changed within the Cherokee County School District policies and practices that would help students,” Thomas said.

Thomas is involved in many other ways around the community. He is in Spanish Honors Society, Flight Club, a leadership club, National Honors Society, Math Honors Society, ISA (International Student Association) and FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes). He is also an AP student and works hard to keep up.

“I enjoy when, whether you’re good or you’re not good at something, you never give up, you never stop trying. That’s really been my motto throughout high school is just never stopping, always trying to soar high and trying to rise above the rest,” Thomas said.

He is also involved in Hidden Falls Tutoring Volunteering, which helps kids who primarily speak Spanish.

“That goes with my ability to be understanding of others because I really enjoy learning about other cultures,” Thomas said.

Thomas has been on track for this honor since the beginning of his high school career. Though he was not in any clubs his freshman year, Thomas always worked to be courteous and helpful to others. Slowly, he worked his way up to leadership positions in different clubs.

“I was always trying to be courteous to others and try to make sure that I was doing well academically and helping anyone whenever I could,” Thomas said.

Thomas’s  advice for underclassmen is to always check their work, ask questions, and do their best. He also believes that prayer is an effective strategy.

“I pray before every test because it gives me the confidence to do better than I could do on my own,” Thomas said.

Thomas is ready to represent Etowah this year and make Cherokee County a better place.