Watts’ bright future

More stories from Christen Ellenberg

Sydne Watts, freshman, is making a name for herself on the varsity girls’ basketball team. With seven seniors on the team, Watts had a lot to prove. Since summer, she has been learning the ins and the outs of the varsity basketball team. Training all day, hoping to snag that varsity spot in October, Watts made the cut. Not only that, she became a starting player.

“The upperclassmen treat me like a little sister and always are trying to better me and my game,” Watts said.

To most, high school basketball is a very different game. With a faster pace and a higher level of aggression, it  is a huge jump from middle school basketball. Watts transformed her game as she became a high school basketball player. During the biggest game of the season against Etowah’s rival, Woodstock, Watts lit up the scoreboard, with 28 out of the 58 points.

“My team is my family. Our girls have each other’s back no matter what; I am so glad to be a part of the LEB family. The bond between our girls is something else,” Watts said.

LEB, or Lady Eagles Basketball, as they call themselves, is a place away from their actual home. Watts stands out not only because she is a freshman, but also because she helped create the team chemistry the coaches always wanted. Watts saw the spark in this team and how tough they can play. After beating Woodstock in overtime, the girls finally found a side they did not know they had.

“Practicing over the past few years really has become a lifestyle,” Watts said.

During season, Watts practices after school with her team for about two hours. Some mornings she will even wake up early and go shoot outside. During off-season, Watts plays on an AAU team, the Canton Flames. It is a group of girls from all around Georgia who come together to play basketball and get better before the season rolls around. Watts also plays volleyball for Etowah during the fall.

“I think something really important, not only on the court, but through life, too, is that no matter how many bumps or bruises you take on the way, it is never over until the final buzzer,” Watts said.