Soaring to new heights

Danielle Goold

More stories from Danielle Goold

Surprise, shock, and sadness were on the agenda at the last staff meeting when Mr. Ball made an unexpected announcement.

“My last day at Etowah will be Friday, Feb. 17,” Keith Ball, Etowah High School Principal, said at a staff meeting.

Yes, it is true.  Etowah’s principal for the last seven years will be leaving for a new and engaging job opportunity in New York City. Ball will be taking a director position at Alpha Quotient, a company that helps students secure funding for college. That way students do not have to take out loans and go into debt.

“He wasn’t [planning on leaving]. This opportunity was just more than he could walk away from. It’s perfect; he’s going to match talented students with people willing to pay for education,” Heather Barton, English teacher, said.

This job is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Ball. It will also allow him to be near his family again, who he has not seen in almost 20 years. His wife and sons will stay in Woodstock until the school year is finished, and then they will join him in the summer.

“It has been very difficult to be away.  The love and support of my family mean everything to me. Most of my family will be within 10 miles of my new house.  That means great food, friends and all of the Yankee, Giant, and Ranger games I can possibly attend,” Ball said.

While the teachers and staff have been extremely supportive of Ball, it is still an emotional time for them.

“I told him, ‘thank you for giving me a chance,’ and told him about the moments most precious to me, such as when he gave me a sub job and when he finally was able to give me my dream job as an English teacher. I told him he was the reason that I decided to move into administration with hopes of being a principal of my own school,” Barton said.

Ball hopes his legacy will be that he left Etowah better than he found it. He achieved many of his goals for Etowah such as improving the look and feel of the campus and enhancing the academic offerings in all subjects.

“This has been one of the most difficult decisions I have ever made as I love Etowah and enjoyed living in Georgia.  At the same time, I am excited about my next chapter in life and looking forward to being with my family.  I will miss the students the most as you bring an energy and hope that only children can provide,” Ball said about leaving Etowah.

Even though word travels quickly, Ball plans to meet with the seniors personally in January and has made a video for EETV to share a message to all students.

“Whoever is the next principal has some seriously big shoes to fill,” Cammie Hopkins, senior, said.

When asked about returning for prom and graduation, Ball said he cannot make it back for prom but will be able to make it to graduation.

“I don’t want to accept my diploma from anyone else,” Sabrina Porubiansky, senior, said.

Instead of going away gifts, Ball would like for every senior to graduate and every underclassman to pass.

While this news is not the happiest, this job opportunity was something Ball has always wanted. With a heavy heart, he leaves in February. Etowah will never forget him and all the exceptional things he has done.