The other side: a parent’s tale

May 23, 2017

Some students believe that the principal is in charge of the dress code, and often students lash out and blame him or her. The students rebel by making posters, writing letters, starting petitions, or blatantly breaking the code.

“I think the dress code has gone to an extreme that is impractical, is insulting to the males, and is victim-blaming the females…[this] is something women are fighting against in other cultures and countries,” Nicole Casquejo, Etowah parent, said.

Some high schools in the country limit students to wearing pre-selected outfits or uniforms. In some areas of the world, students are required to wear school uniforms, and over half of the public schools in America have a strict dress code. Uniforms exist so the county does not have to put up with all of the disputing between parents and students. According to an article published by “Credit Donkey”, a statistics website, in 2015, 41 percent of students agreed that since wearing uniforms, there has been less gang activity, and graduation rates have risen almost eight percent since the uniforms were forced.

Some uniform policies eliminate the problem of kids comparing themselves to one another. Uniforms make everyone equal.

The school does not limit students on piercings, tattoos, hair color, and excessive use of make-up. There are plenty of ways for students to ‘express themselves’ without breaking the rules.

To any students struggling with the concept of dress code, may your shorts be the proper length and your straps be three fingers in width!