HOSA: Prescription for success

More stories from Hannah Griffin

Mother’s Day DIY
May 10, 2019

Everything is pulse-ible when it comes to Etowah’s HOSA, from an Eagle headed to the International Leadership Conference (ILC) to another one being inducted into state office. This was a successful year for Etowah’s Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA). 

“HOSA is all about defining your purpose. In school, sports team, and even in a job we strive to know our purpose in anything and to excel in whatever we do,” Abby Allen, sophomore, said.  

This spring, Etowah’s HOSA attended the State Leadership Conference (SLC), where Georgia students competed in events such as presenting Career Display Projects or taking tests over sports medicine, physical therapy, medical law, or CPR and First-Aid. Those who did not compete, attended workshops, talked to colleges, and voted for next year’s state officers. 

“Everyone from Etowah ‘competed’ on some kind of event whether it was a project, test, or a chapter recognition project, but once people were eliminated, there was a whole day to go do various activities,” Maggie Bradley, sophomore, said. 

At the HOSA Conference, Faith Ediae-Holly was inducted into state office as President-Elect of Georgia HOSA. As President-Elect, she will represent all the members of Georgia HOSA in their quests to become future healthcare professionals. She will serve a two-year term, one year as “President-in-Training,” and the following year as President.  

I am proud that I am able to be serving so many students invested in their future goals, and I’m glad that I get to be doing it for two years, Ediae-Holly, junior, said,  

Senior Kaylie Cofield will be able to attend the International Leadership Conference (ILC) in Orlando in June because of her book in Etowah’s HOSA’s Club, also known as chapter. The book shows images and writings of what Etowah’s HOSA has done all year. A student from the chapter presented the book to a panel of judges. Kaylie Cofield presented the book to a panel of judges and got the set amount of points recorded in the book to be recognized nationally.  

I am so beyond blessed to have had such an amazing experience in HOSA the last three years at SLC and I’m so excited to represent Etowah at Internationals in June, Kaylie Cofield, senior, said.  

This year, the Etowah HOSA bowl teams placed in the top 15th in the testing and moved on to the head- to-head round. During the head-to-head round, both teams were well ahead in the buzzer rounds until the last few questions. Etowah competed against other teams from different high schools on basic knowledge of healthcare, terminology, and HOSA History. 

It was rough, but I enjoyed every minute of it. I learned a lot of things and I had fun, Jiana Watson, junior, said. 

This year, Etowah HOSA had the opportunity to have the Army, Emory’s Department of Geneticists, and Stop the Bleed organizations come speak to them. The Army spoke about different healthcare careers available in the military and the benefits the military offers for active and retired soldiers. Emory’s geneticists spoke about the current research and the future of gene editing in order to cure sickle cell anemia. Stop the Bleed spoke about its mission to educate students and staff within public schools on how to stop deadly bleeding.  

My favorite memory from the SLC was listening to the Army recruiter because it opened my eyes to a field I am very interested in,” Jenna Doran, junior, said.