Prom: a hefty price tag

Kellie Little

More stories from Kellie Little

Photo taken from Fox Theatre website

The cost of holding Etowah’s prom at the Historic Fox Theatre is $17,000 alone, and the rest of the plans for April 20 have put the overall budget at a grand total of $35,000.

“[Fundraising] comes mostly from ticket sales. To break even, we need to sell 500 tickets,” Beth Long, prom coordinator, said.

Prom night, in all of its clichéd glory, is one of the most exciting events for many students. It is full of dazzling dresses, fancy suits, and expensive transportation. In preparation, everyone is strapping on dancing shoes for a Night on the Nile.

“It’s very beautiful [and] very historic. I, as a teacher, really love seeing everyone all dressed up. Everyone’s nice, and one of my favorite things is creating memories,” Long said.

The theme, “A Night on the Nile” is inspired by the venue’s Egyptian Ballroom. The classic Egyptian arches and the warm color palette combine to give students an immersive experience.

“[The theme was chosen] because it sounded neat, and we’re at the Egyptian ballroom. There could be a lot of cool stuff,” Long said.

There are plans to make this prom bigger and better than those in the past. The venue’s beauty offers a lot of inspiration for the night.

“I have a couple special surprises planned that I still am getting approved by Horn. There will definitely be a photo booth. It’s going to be awesome,” Long said.

Before working at Etowah, Long took part in planning prom for Roswell High School with the help of a student prom committee. This year, Long faced the daunting task of organizing the dance on her own.

“I wanted to make a prom committee, but I really didn’t have time to train everyone. Between that and there being no homecoming, you guys [Etowah students] really don’t know how to throw a big dance. It’s not just turning on music,” Long said.

Tickets  will remain $75 until April, where they will hit $85. Prom king and queen ballots go out the week of April 15.