Psyched up to play “Psych”

More stories from Hannah Griffin

Mother’s Day DIY
May 10, 2019

It is the game that is loved. It is the game that is hated. It is the game that is taking over Etowah. It is “Psych,” the mobile app that students cannot get enough of, or cannot stand to play.

“It’s so much fun when you have a lot of people in the game, and you can learn a lot of new things about your friends,” Will King, freshman, said.

“Psych” is an app that users can download on their phones to connect and play with their friends. To be in a game with your friends, you must enter a two-word game code. There are many different game modes on the app, but “The truth comes out” is by far the most popular. In this mode, the game will randomly select a name out of the people playing and insert it into a question like, “What would you find wedged between Hannah’s couch cushions?”

“One time when I was playing ‘Psych’ I got a question that said, ‘Give Alec a great nickname’ and all of my friends’ answers were super funny” Alec Blanchard, junior, said.

Players, including the person mentioned in the question, get to type their own answers. Once everyone submits an answer, each player gets to pick the one that is the funniest or the best fit. You do not know who typed what unless you choose that answer.

“It’s kind of like ‘Apples to Apples’ with everyone as the judge because everyone can pick, but you don’t know who said what,” Julian Vaccaro, sophomore, said.

While the game may be fun for some, the secrecy of the app irritates others. Some feel these harmless jokes go too far, and the game is no longer fun to play.

“The game all started out as a joke, but as it went on, it turned into a ‘game’ where everyone has an excuse to tell people the reasons why they don’t like them, or they aren’t good enough in some way,” Erin Aycoth, freshman, said.