• March 6Prom tickets are now on sale on Etowah's homepage!

Save the drama for Thescon

Kellie Little

More stories from Kellie Little

Back to Article
Back to Article

Save the drama for Thescon

Everyone strives to find a place to be themselves around people who share their similar interests, and for most in Etowah’s theater program, that place is the Georgia Thespian Conference. Thescon is a three-day event in Georgia that over 5,000 thespians attend annually each February.

“Thescon undoubtedly helped me. I had the opportunity to learn from trained actors and dancers to make sure that as I continue my life as an actor, I am prepared,” Sarah DePropero, sophomore, said.

The conference is not a necessity, but it does provide students a chance to learn from one another. Some schools do a show at the conference to demonstrate their abilities and show off their talent. There are workshops for different crafts in theater such as dancing and singing. Professionals lead workshops intended to teach and help refine students’ skills.

“Thescon helped me significantly because I get to learn [something] new; sometimes odd skills from professionals that I couldn’t get from Etowah. And also being around so many talented and dedicated people, [it] is really inspiring, so I get to take what I learned [at Thescon] back home,” Beth Leak, junior, said.

The spring musical is one of the largest performances the theater program puts on each year, so Thescon allows students to improve their skills in time to add anything that may be beneficial to the show. This year, the drama department will perform “Beauty and the Beast”.

“You get to take a lot of classes to better your repertoire in theater. […] I’m more confident in my dance skills, and I took an acting class to help me portray my emotions on stage better,” Caleb Joyner, sophomore, said.

While this year’s Thescon is over, next year’s will be Feb. 6-8, and registration will begin in the fall. Those interested can click here to get more information on the conference.

About the Writer
Kellie Little, Editor/Opinions Supervisor

Hi I'm Kellie Little and I'm one of the senior editors on The Talon! I obviously love writing, but I also enjoy baking, shopping (with money I definitely...