All work and no play this summer

Tania Diaz de Leon

More stories from Tania Diaz de Leon

With semester two rolling in, summer is on everyone’s mind. Some are thinking of summer jobs, some are thinking of summer flings, and some are thinking of summer school. Cherokee County already has its summer school learning opportunities planned out for 2019, and students can start registering early in May.

“Summer school is a great opportunity for students to recover credits and get back on track for graduation,’’ Michele Dowd, counselor, said.

There will be four parts to the summer school options, which include face- to- face credit recovery, virtual credit recovery, initial credit recovery for personal fitness and health, and Summer Bridge.  Face- to- face credit classes will be offered at the Etowah East campus, and the courses will be taught by teachers. Virtual recovery will be offered at each high school and will be handled by a certified teacher. Both options are based on demand, and are from 8 a.m. to noon or 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. The price will be $200 per class or half unit of credit.

“Many of Etowah’s classes allow for grade recovery. Summer school is the last option that Etowah resorts to,’’ Sirsha Dettmar, senior, said.

Rising ninth graders can take a half unit of personal fitness or health. There will be no transportation provided, and the cost will be $200 per class or half unit of credit.  Summer Bridge involves high schools working with middle schools to invite select academically at risk rising ninth graders to go to Summer Bridge.  This program is from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. and will be offered at every high school. The program is free, but there will be no credit given to those who attend. Instead, students who attend will have access to academic content and learn skills that are going to make them successful in ninth grade.

‘’I am excited that I can take health and fitness before I start high school. It puts me ahead and in a good position,’’ Mayeli Martinez, rising ninth grader, said.

The summer school options for the summer of 2019 are beneficial to students who want to start their high school career early, or those who need to catch up. For those who failed a class, or simply want to get ahead, talk to your school counselor to find out which option is best.