Amick’s lucky year

Reece Godwin

More stories from Reece Godwin

It is the seniors’ last semester of high school, which means they are all scrambling to get the rest of their work done and discover what they will be doing next fall, whether it means attending college or going elsewhere. Senior, Emerson Amick, has decided to let her faith take her across the Atlantic. She will be taking a gap year after high school to go on a mission trip to Ireland with current seniors from other schools from August 2019 through July 2020.

“I’m going into [the trip] with no expectations, but praying that God will be the one to guide me through,” Amick said.

Amick is able to attend this trip to Athlone, Ireland because of the organization, Global Year. It gives students the opportunity to serve God and others in countries all over the world. She will be staying with locals in their homes and at times in apartment style buildings with other students.

“My daily schedule will almost be like a nine to five job. I will be interning at a local church down in Ireland, and I will be there every day. Some days I will be out doing street evangelism,” Amick said.

An international trip comes with a hefty price tag. It will cost Amick $15,000 to attend her year abroad, and she has been dedicating a lot of time and effort into fundraising.

“For my fundraisers, I have been selling sweatshirts and thrifted clothes,” Amick said.

Once Amick returns in July 2020, she plans to take online classes at Shorter University for Christian studies and go to seminary school. Follow @poppintagssz to see Amick’s thrifting finds to help get her to Ireland.