Eagles crush at county swim meet

Kat Kochansky

More stories from Kat Kochansky

Some may compare the Etowah swim team to the Patriots: everyone hates them because they just keep winning when it matters most. For the third year in a row, the swim team won the county invitational meet. This year, both boys and girls won, which contributed to a combined score that won the overall title. 

The season started with some doubts. The boys’ team did not feel as strong going into the season after the graduation of multiple high-scoring senior boys last year, and the pressure of the Cherokee and Creekview teams began to threaten a possible title.  

The girls, although not as affected by the loss of last year’s seniors, also faced strong opposition from Woodstock’s team.  

As the county meet got underway, the boys started off with a victory in the 200-yard medley relay, sending a strong message to the other teams. Garin Brown, sophomore, placed first in the 200-yard medley, 100-yard backstroke, and second in the 100-yard butterfly. Cole Dallas, sophomore, and Jackson Keith, senior, also had strong swims for Etowah, winning the 100-yard butterfly and placing second in 50 and 100-yard freestyle, respectively.  

For the girls, Payton Smith and Abby Modlinski, sophomores, took the lead. Smith won the 100-yard butterfly and placed second in 500-yard freestyle. Modlinski placed second in both the 100-yard butterfly and 200-yard medley. 

“I was really excited [to win the 100-yard butterfly] because I have been working very hard, and it felt good to see the results show,” Smith said. 

The boys’ team finished the night with a win in the second relay, the 400-yard freestyle relay, led by Keith, Brown, Dallas, and Ben Willett, sophomore. 

“The 400-relay was the highlight of my night. It was exciting to see everyone race their best,” Willett said.  

When the final scores were announced, the boys’ team won with a score of 297, just one point ahead of Cherokee. The girls won with 372 points over Woodstock with 227. Etowah also received the overall county title with 669 points, beating second overall team River Ridge (440).  

The seniors on the team were excited to win county one last time. As the swim team’s last meet came to an end, bittersweet feelings were a common theme. 

“I know that I gave my all to the team and every event that I swam. I love the Aqua Eagles and always will,” Lilly Zamarano, senior, said. 

Congratulations to Etowah’s swim team for yet another county title. The Etowah swim and dive state team is set to compete at Georgia Tech Feb. 7-9.