True Colors

Tania Diaz de Leon

More stories from Tania Diaz de Leon

Back to Article
Back to Article

True Colors

Besides offering many rigorous advanced placement (AP) classes and a variety of career pathways to students, Etowah also provides various art classes such as visual arts, painting, drawing, pottery, and AP art. These classes can offer advantages such as relief from regular school stress, the ability of students to express themselves creatively, and the opportunity to meet new people with similar interests.

“Art classes help students figure out their true selves with freedom and individualism,” Katherine Gunderson, senior, said.

For many students, their respective art class is a great stress reliever. Students can feel overwhelmed with tasks in their academic classes and have the opportunity to use their art class as a way to take a break from homework and grades. Art classes provide a beneficial experience for students where they can focus on their artistic pieces for an hour.

“People are free to create stuff and have a break from having to sit and listen. They work on something creatively,’’ Shannah Dean, art teacher, said.

Art classes deliver a creative outlet students may not get anywhere else. Each class is different. Drawing class focuses on sketching various objects; painting class dives into painting techniques and brush strokes; pottery deals with ceramics and clay, and visual arts is the first art class that students are required to take as an introduction before taking any other art classes. Everyone expresses themselves differently, which is what makes art classes appealing. Students have time to practice and improve their skills. They use their time to become a better artist while getting feedback from their friends and teacher.

“The atmosphere is very comfortable and open. There are not that many expectations. It’s very friendly and relaxed,’’ Avanlve Kennedy, sophomore, said.

Art classes are a great component to Etowah as students can unwind and use their imagination to paint, draw, or color. The classes are a time dedicated to being creative while at the same time enjoying friends and relaxing in a creative atmosphere.

About the Writer
Tania Diaz de Leon, Reporter

I was born on December 23, 2000. I have a great passion for reading and writing. I love the way people have with words and live for moments of excitement....